Reflection on Paper




I chose to write the concept version of the community paper. Some takeaways:

  • With the constant change in online tools and formats, it sometimes surprises me how the same original principles can apply. Tools change but people do not.
  • The intersection of online criminal communities is interesting! Not the place to do a deep dive of research (although it would have been a great idea to have before the full version?) but communities that are focused on illegal and unethical activities would be really fascinating to look at. It could be a strange rabbit hole to look at carefully though. 
  • A familiar pattern in this program continues where I've analyzed the "why" of places and concepts that I never thought too much about.
  • My ideal community is a mixed one. I want in-person interaction and meetings while still having an online place to check and stay informed. The I4 IDs is helping to accomplish this!
  • Somebody could write an entire book on the strange communities and practices of LinkedIn users. It's a weird mix of motivations and norms for content. I use LinkedIn a decent bit but as a lurker. I can't imagine posting these long and strange essays that many people do. I think a lot of it is engagement bait.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Trip through Twitter

Creating A Network: The I4 IDs

Social Butterfly Challenge